Monday, June 21, 2010

Soundtrack of the Week: 6-21-2010

So this is my first "sorta" feature that I'm test driving. Basically the concept is that I put forth a handful of songs that I feel people should listen to over the course of the week, and you guys give me feedback via the comments section (speaking of which, are you following my blog yet? You should be!). Love the songs? Like one but hate the others? Well let me know!

I'd also like to put forth the notion that you should give me some suggestions for what I might put forward in future weeks' soundtracks. Will I cater to your opinions and give everything an automatic bump to the soundtrack? Not necessarily, but I'll give everything a listen and a fair shot. Expand my musical taste while I expand yours!

And without further ado...

1) James Taylor - Carolina in my Mind

It seemed only fitting that I would give the first song of this week to Mr. Taylor seeing as he was inadvertently the inspiration for this entire blog. It was difficult to pick a single song from his catalog of work, but ultimately my mood (content, but a little worn out from a busy weekend) dictated this decision.

As with his any of his other pieces that come to mind, his guitar work is skillful but never outshines his one-of-a-kind voice: a voice that goes beyond simply speaking the lyrics. You can hear the pain, the happiness, the nostalgia, and the simple desire to be home in his singing. It always feels like there's some story behind the song that he's keeping to himself and remembering as he sings.

In my searching, I came across this video. It's a bit lengthy for a song (at almost 10 minutes) but he introduces the song and the story behind it before playing. It's well worth a viewing, and while I certainly don't know the man himself, I'm given the impression that he's a very genuine person, which only adds to the song for me.



2) Blind Melon - No Rain

I can almost guarantee you've heard this song, though you may not know it by name or by artist. These guys were more or less a one-hit band, and I want to say that the singer died after he overdosed or something to that effect, though I would have to check that and I'm much too lazy, so consider this a disclaimer. Regardless, this happens to be one of the most infectious songs my ears have ever had the pleasure of receiving. The electric guitar hook is bright and catchy, and is backed by subtle but effective acoustic work and a smooth bass line. The percussive snaps and shakers fill out the aural landscape perfectly beneath the vocal harmonies. The lyrics are a bit melancholy, but when placed in the upbeat key, they manage to carry a sort of optimism and dare I say contentedness? Oh, and the music video has a girl in a bee costume. Remember now?



3) Tool - Schism

I'll admit up front to not knowing Tool's work nearly as well as I probably should, but holy buttered waffles this song is great! The song begins with some bass chords (I promise they exist) and is quickly followed by one of my favorite bass lines, which is then mimicked and fiddled with by the guitar. The powerful vocals fit the song perfectly. The breakdown is also perfect, maintaining the feel of the song while slowing down the pace and introducing some interesting vocal and instrumental effects. As a whole, the piece is fairly technical, playing with time signatures and interesting rhythms. It's no Dream Theater, but it doesn't need to be. Check it out.


They're artists. They're allowed to be a little weird..

Alright. Your turn. Thoughts? Comments? Grilled cheese sandwiches?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I'm in. I took a Rock 'n Roll class in college (which was totally freakin' amazing for a whole variety of reasons), and I recall Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" being a particularly noteworthy song both for its musical structure as well as its place in the grunge movement. I submit that for your consideration.

    And, I had grilled cheese for lunch. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, spare the grilled cheese, I have other lunch plans in mind.

    As for James Taylor, I haven't heard "Carolina in my Mind," but I must say, "Fire and Rain" is quite good from his early material. "Copperline" as well.

    ReplyDelete